Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Haiku Sequence

He passed me in the hallway,
A hot smell, like coffee,
Doesn't match the sun outside.

Walking to school this morning -
Chill, for September.
I should've warn a jacket.

Why are the Provo mountains
Orange already?
Those in Cedar are still green.

The grass has gotten greener
In the last few days -
Isn't that kind of backwards?

Miniscule red bug
Crawling across my paper,
Savor the sunlight.

The September sky:
It's not quite blue anymore,
Washed out, actually.

Sitting in the grass,
The red bug, the fly, and me.
Summer is waning.

(( This was our assignment for Poetry this week. She told us that haikus had syllable counts of 7-5-7, but we figured out yesterday that it's actually 5-7-5, so half of mine are one way and the other half is the other way. ))

2 comments:

Ingrid said...

I find it a little funny that the poetry teacher messed up the haiku syllables. If the teacher doesn't know, who does? I love your haikus! (Even the one that has a 6-syllable line! ;-)

Amber Jane said...

Oh my gosh it does have six syllables! Dang it! But she did say that was okay. She said we shouldn't sacrifice our haiku for an accurate syllable count.

(if the teacher doesn't know, I know. I'm the one who brought it up).