Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Quote for Today

I finally got around to reading A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. I LOVE this book. The writing is just so amazing. Betty Smith, the author, is so talented with words, the way I hope to be someday. She paints such perfect pictures, and conveys all the best (and worst) emotions, and they are so REAL. I was flipping through my copy today when I came across an underlined passage:

"I guess that's why the Jews have so many babies," Francie thought. "And why they sit so quiet...waiting. And why they aren't ashamed the way they are fat. Each one thinks that she might be making the real little Jesus. That's why they walk so proud when they're that way. Now the Irish women always look so ashamed. They know that they can never make a Jesus. It will just be another Mick. When I grow up and know that I am going to have a baby, I will remember to walk proud and slow even though I am not a Jew."


I don't like this so much because of the Jews thinking they are making the baby Jesus, but I like it because they are proud that they are pregnant. And when I grow up and know that I am going to have a baby, I will walk proud and slow even though I am not a Jew.

3 comments:

Ingrid said...

I walk proud and slow because I have a daughter as amazing as you.

Ginger Horsburgh said...

You CAN'T do that to a pregnant woman! Bad, Amber for making me cry at 1030 in the morning! I can't wait until you have a baby-you better call me so we can cry together.

Amber Jane said...

Oh, Ging, don't worry, I will be calling you so we can cry together!! Hahaha!!!