Sunday, February 21, 2010

I have discovered...

...that I am a nerd of EPIC proportions. I really ought to have figured this out by now. But I didn't. Until today. Want to know why? Well, even if you don't, I'm going to tell you.

Today marks the day that I started watching Star Trek: The Original Series. Yes. You heard correctly, my children. I have descended that far. Although, once I sat down and thought it out logically (Spock is getting to me...), it was very obvious that this was simply the next step on my road to full-fledged nerdhood (if I'm not there already). I will now detail for you, in chronological order, my descent into geekdom:

  • Fourth grade: HARRY POTTER. That was when I read book 1. Then, for two weeks in June of 2000, all I did was read books 1, 2, and 3. Then, for my 10th birthday, I got books 1, 2, 3, and 4. And the rest, as they say...
  • Summer of 2003: I saw Pirates of the Caribbean. Yes, at first my love for that series had solely to do with Johnny Depp. But now I love it. I love the fantasy elements, the awesome fighting, and, of course, the pretty men (is that an oxymoron?).
  • January 2004: The Lord Of The Rings had been sitting on my bookshelf gathering dust for months. But in January, I picked up part 1, "The Fellowship Of The Ring." I read it in two weeks, watched the movie, and promptly began part 2.
  • And for a while, things were quiet, fueled only by the continued release of Harry Potter movies, and The-Series-That-Must-Not-Be-Named trying in vain to take its place....
  • THEN I went to college. And I met GWEN, who's nerdiness exceeded my own. She introduced me to LOST. I watched 4 years worth of TV in 4 months. And then I did it again. And again. That makes three (3) times.
  • Also, we had movie marathons. Many much movie marathons. Pirates, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and X-Men.
  • THEN Star Trek: 2009 came out. Gwen, of course, bought it. And we watched it. And then Gwen went to BYU and started watching the Original Series.
  • THEN Gwen CAME BACK! We watched Star Trek. That was last night.
  • Today I finally took that last step. I have now hit rock bottom. Now what?
So you see, once you work it out logically (curse you Spock), my descent to geekdom wasn't really all that sudden. Especially since my Dad used to watch Star Trek when I was little. I'd watch it with him, but I don't remember anything about it. So, not only is it in my blood, but it really was only a matter of time until I started watching Star Trek... There was never really any resistance in me. I don't even know where to go next... That's okay, I've got 40+ years of TV to catch up on. But I really don't think I'll go that far. I am a bit of a purist, even though I only started today. I think I'll stick to the Original Series.

And that concludes my nerdy ramblings.

Amber Out.

(Curse you, Captain James T. Kirk...)

9 comments:

Zach said...

Good that you didn't resist.... because, as you'll find out... resistance is futile

T Malfoy said...

well, i can know call you a treky hahaha i love you amber

Amber Jane said...

NO! I am NOT a Trekkie. I can't speak Vulcan or Klingon or whatever. I refuse to stoop THAT low.

Ingrid said...

OK Zach, you usurped my comment! Please note that I was going to say the same thing as Zach.

And, also please note that the Star Trek that Dad used to watch when you were little was "The Next Generation." Which I thought was pretty cool, but never watched outside of watching with Dad, because, well, that's how my TV-watching habits are. With Dad.

Amber Jane said...

Yes, I know that Dad didn't watch this series. But he's probably seen it. He and I have very much the same tastes in TV, as far as it isn't Project Runway...

Emma Sorensen said...

Hehe! I love your nerdyness. It makes me happy. We all are nerds in one form, or another, or a billion. :)

Ginger Horsburgh said...

Ok, first if all I have to tell you, I watched Star Trek, which I am sure was the Next Generation, (nonetheless equally as nerdy!) every night on the little black and white TV that every kid in our family had in their room at sometime or another. (I also watched the second plane hit the second WTC tower on that TV!) I was hooked for a long time! Secondly, what the HECK is wrong with Project Runway???!!! My FAVORITE show, I watch every one! Ok, that's all! Love ya!

Amber Jane said...

I didn't mean that Project Runway was lame, I love that show! It's just one of the few shows that I don't have in common with my Dad.

Jam said...

"The Next Generation" is just as good as the "Original Star Trek", but I never really got into "Deep Space Nine" or the others that followed.