Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Intermission

2:00 pm
I have half an hour before my next class starts, so I figured I'd catch you all up on how things are going. I STILL don't have choir, but it starts tomorrow, so I'll be okay.

Spanish was interesting. He teaches the class mostly IN Spanish, which is a little hard for some of us, myself included. But I understand most of what he says, and it'll get easier as my brain adjusts.

Intermediate Poetry promises to be EPIC. Next week we're going to see Macbeth at the USF, and at the end of September, Laura Tohe is coming to discuss her work with us. Oh, and in October we're taking a trip to Kolob Canyon to write things in the style of Laura Tohe. Should be awesome.

Textbook should only come to about $150 this year, which is HALF what I've paid my last four semesters.

I love having upper-level classes now. The teachers seem much more competent, probably because they've been teaching these subjects for years and don't rotate through like the lower-division classes do.

It will be nice to have something to do in the afternoons/evenings, once homework picks up. I was so bored yesterday. I should also find a morning job if I can, give me something to DO. Speaking of which, I'm going to go check the job board. Peace.

UPDATE: Spanish homework: Done. It will take further adjusting, but my brain remembers more than I gave it credit for.

Poetry: LADY MACBETH IS SUCH A VILLAIN!! Last time I read the play, I skipped Act I because I was lazy. I knew she was the villain anyway, but she's exceptionally twisted in Act I. "I would kill my own child for the chance to be queen," and all. PSYCHO.

Intermediate Fiction: We have to come up with an idea week, due Thursdays. This week's idea? Romance. How do you make a Romance original???? Ugh. I'll just have to have a brainstorm party sometime tomorrow and hash something out. If I actually revised my writing, I'd probably be VERY good, not just moderately good. But I don't. I feel like things are only fresh and real if you don't take out every flaw. Sometimes. Sometimes revision is called for. But when I'm really in the Zone, I don't need to revise much. Or so I think. We shall see...

Jobs: Found one posting I might qualify for. It's a PR assisting job or something like that. Have to submit writing samples... not so sure about that one. Maybe I'll just stick in some essays or something. I don't really have anything in the style of what she's probably looking for. Maybe I'll just stick in my best stuff. I dunno. I'll keep you posted.

Hungry status: Starving. I mean, duh, Starving Student, remember? But I actually ate today! And I'm not completely exhausted (probably because I got 10 hours of sleep last night WIN). But I had breakfast, and then lunch, then bought some crackers because I was hungry at 2:00, then had dinner, then ate oatmeal, and I'm still starving! Gurgh.

House status: Clean. I cleaned the kitchen and the bathroom today. And tidied up the common space a little too (I'm not sure what to call this. It's a dining room, technically, but no one eats there). We still need a system, but things are falling into place. I think of all my roommates, I spend the most time at home. Maybe I should change that. But I like my little house. I don't know any of the upstairs girls yet, but me and Katelin are thinking of having a big move party in the living room up there sometime, so we can all hang out. "A Walk To Remember", anyone?

1 comment:

Ingrid said...

I love your blog! I DO read it! I love keeping up with your happenings. Sorry if I am being a dorky mom, but I guess I am. I miss you the most when you first are gone, and this time seems even harder for some reason. So please keep writing here! If only for your dear ol' ma. I love it!