Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Villanelle

Author's Note: I hate villanelles. Seriously. I thought pantoums were bad, but these just might be worse!

----------

CAN’T

I might end up in poet’s hell.

I can write sonnets and haikus,

But I can’t write this villanelle.


I used to think I could write well,

But now I don’t know what to do!

Hey! Maybe I’ll go to poet’s hell.


I can spin wonderful tales to tell,

Stories that would enrapture you.

But I can’t write a villanelle.


If we could work together, that’d be swell!

But you’re not a writer, so I’ll go without you,

Off on my own to poet’s hell.


Maybe if I drank a bottle of Propel,

Then I’d at least have the energy to.

But right now I’m too tired to write a villanelle.


If I could do it, it’d put you under a spell,

And just in time for Halloween, too!

So maybe I’m going to poet’s hell,

But I just can’t write this villanelle.

2 comments:

Ingrid said...

I'm not exactly sure what a villanelle is, but I love yours more than any other one I've ever read!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.