Monday, January 9, 2012

The First Day of My Last Semester

I will generally have four classes on a Monday, but I only had three today because choir hasn't started yet. They need time for newbies to audition and whatnot.

First class today was Piano. It's just a continuation of

I had Script Analysis this morning, one of two theatre electives I'm taking. I am SO excited for this course. I had two different friends tell me I should take it. I am a bit apprehensive, though. It's a freshman theatre majors course. Yep. It's going to be...interesting, to say the least. My notes from today say "Yay, theatre majors, yay." They probably assume I'm a freshman theatre major as well. I kind of want to stand up and say, "Hi. I'm a senior. And an English major. Just FYI." But we shall see. I think the professor would like me, if I could be bothered to speak up. But I already have spoken up once, and it's only the first day, so I'd say that's progress, especially for me.
Oh, did I mention she's British? Yeah. She's cute. I've heard some students complain about her, but students complain about all the teachers I like. Such is life. Today she reccommended we watch the version of Hamlet starring David Tennant. I have a feeling she and I will get along fabulously.

Then I had Intro To Film, the second of my theatre electives. I started off this class singling myself out as "the smart girl," which isn't exactly a bad thing. It's just weird because I don't speak up in class.

EPIPHANY: I don't speak up in English classes. Because I know that people are smarter than me, and I know that I kind of sound like an idiot. But I can speak up in these classes because I actually feel smart. Yay me!!

Okay, so here's what happened. The professor stood up at the front and said, "I'm going to recite a poem about how books are awesome. Then I want to see if any of you know where it's from." Then he proceeded to recite the poem. Conversation that followed:
Prof: So, anyone know who wrote that?
Class: ...
Class: Shel Silverstein? Dr. Seuss?
Prof: Nope.
Class: ...
Me: Roald Dahl.
Prof: Yep! Anyone know what it's from?
Class: ...
Me: ...
Class: ...
Me: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Prof: Yep. It's one of the Oompa Loompa songs.

Which was ironic because I only recognized the poem because it's the lyrics to the Oompa Loompa song from the Tim Burton version. But I didn't feel the need to mention that...

I may post again tomorrow, about the classes I'm having then. We shall see. I'm trying to get back into the blogging scene.

2 comments:

Ingrid said...

Welcome back to blogville. I'm only here to read, I don't write. But it is good to see you writing again. Fun to read. I may not count cuz I'm your mom, but I am glad you are blogging again. :-)

Ingrid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.